5 Verses for a Broken Heart
Just a couple of days before Christmas, one of my childhood friends died after a long battle with cancer. I was heartbroken. A couple of weeks later, I was with my dear friend when she received news that her dad had passed away unexpectedly. She was heartbroken. We all experience heartbreak. Whether the death of a loved one, a broken relationship, a prodigal child, loss of a job, or any situation that breaks your heart, the Bible says a lot to encourage you. Check out these five verses:
1. Psalm 34:18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
God does not abandon you in your heartbreak. He comes close. Not feeling Him? Take some time in a quiet place and ask the Lord to make His presence known to you.
2. Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Binding or bandaging a wound is an integral part of first aid treatment. It protects the wound and allows time for healing. Allow God to bind your wound.
3. Luke 7:13 When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don’t cry”.
When Jesus saw the widow, whose only son had died, He was moved to comfort her. Another time, “Jesus wept” (Mark 11:35) along with Mary at the death of her brother and his good friend, Lazarus. His heart goes out to you in your heartbreak, too. As a human, Jesus experienced loss and sadness, and He comforts you in yours.
4. John 16:33 I have told you these things so that you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
God is bigger than our heartbreak and helps us to overcome it. Take heart and trust Him through your situation.
5. Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
I have heard Psalm 23 so many times in my life that sometimes they are just words, and I forget to look past them to the meaning behind them. Read the entire 23rd Psalm and let the words sink into your soul. It is a picture of a loving shepherd who is with you through every circumstance in your life. While you are in the valley of heartbreak, God is right there with you. He fights off those who would hurt you. He serves you in the midst of your enemies and gently meets all of your needs.
I pray that you would rest in the presence of the One who loves you most and walks you through your heartbreak. He will never leave or forsake you. (Heb. 13:5)