Six Verses To Help With Stress and Worry
Picture this...you find out you’re being let go from the job you’ve had for over 10 years, or your 14-year-old daughter decides they’re ready to have sex, or maybe your spouse tells you they don’t love you anymore, or you find out your dad has cancer.
Yeah...deep stuff, and all situations you might not have control over.
In all these cases, stress, anxiety, worry, and fear are almost inevitable. When these things happen, it can be so painful and paralyzing. It can feel like you don’t have anything together.
Have you found yourself there before? I have. I know what it’s like to be so stressed, so out of control, and so desperate for answers. The only place that I’ve found comfort is in Christ Jesus and His word. The power that lives in His word blows my mind.
When you’re in that place, that stressed and anxious-filled place, take a deep breath, and speak these verses out loud.
1. Don’t be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7
Don’t forget that we have a God who hears and wants to know your heart.
2. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. - Isaiah 43:2-3
You are not alone. Ever. God is always with you and walking alongside of you, and He will never leave you to just suffer in isolation or silence.
3. For God did not give us a spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7
Remember that the Holy Spirit lives in you. That spirit is filled with love, self-control, and the power to continue on.
4. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. - Jeremiah 29:11
God’s promises are true. Hold onto them even in your darkest hours.
5. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” - Joshua 1:9
God actually commands us to be brave. Believe that you are and can be because He does.
6. “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? - Matthew 6:25- 27
If He’s taking care of birds in the trees, He will surely take care of you. Worrying does nothing but wear you down.
I pray that whatever it is you’re going through (the deep stuff and maybe the not so deep stuff), you would run to Him first and that you would let His truths permeate throughout your mind, body, and soul and remind you that you got this.