Posted in: Devotion, Restoration
( Karla Kelman
5 Bible Verses About Making God A Priority
I love all things creative! I love singing, dancing, painting/drawing, writing, speaking, theatrical plays, daydreaming, brainstorming and much more. I must admit that I am decent at all of them. Being that I spent ten years as a high school art teacher while being a studio artist and graphic designer pretty much sums it all up. I love the creative world and for the most part, I believe the creative world loves me. One might also say that I am ambitious, and I must agree. However, sometimes that ambition gets the best of me and I am left feeling empty, frustrated and stuck about the meaning of my life.
In my need to be “successful” in all those creative areas, I’d dismiss God’s power as being irrelevant. For example, I’ll become super excited and caught up in my projects that I start skipping times for prayer and reading the Word. I’ll commit hours to painting a picture but feel too busy or engrossed in the work to stop and seek God. Needless to say, after a while of running on spiritual fumes I’d slip into despair and feelings of exasperation with my seemingly average life. A Jack of all trades but a master of none. Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining about my creativity, I am just being open about the times when I don’t prioritize God above my gifts.
On the other hand, when I do make time for prayer and God’s Word, I feel like the Energizer Bunny. I can keep going and going but more importantly, the feelings of frustration and emptiness disappear. Contentment rises from within that makes me more appreciative of my life and the people in it. My pursuits cease from being about me to being about others. During those moments, I think of the following scriptures:
- But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. -Matthew 6:33
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, with prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. -Philippians 4:6
- Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. -Romans 12:12
- But those who wait on the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint.”-Isaiah 40:31
- Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1
Making God a priority in my life clearly isn’t always easy; and with personal pursuits, technological distractions, and social demands, it’s near impossible, if I let it. However, God promises in His Word that with Him ALL things are possible so when I find myself drained, I self-correct and seek His face.